RE: Desktop Kernel Stuff

Le ven 18/07/2003 à 10:50, Murray Cumming Comneon com a écrit :
> > From: Cumming Murray (COMNEON Linz)
> > This very possibly has nothing to do with kernel changes, but
> > I've always
> > felt that the desktop should not need to be unresponsive when
> > some process
> > is very busy. For instance, I should still be able to pull
> > down menus when
> > I'm compiling something in the background. In my ignorance, I
> > feel like it
> > should be possible to reserve 10% of the processor's capacity
> > for these
> > things.
>
> Was this completely stupid then? Don't be afraid to say so.

I wouldn't say this is completely stupid, since according to
http://lwn.net/Articles/24579/ (Improving interactivity on Linux systems
section), Linus himself wrote a patch to try to improve that situation
:) At least, your request and what is described in this article look
really similar, even if the approach is a bit different.

Christophe