Re: Desktop Kernel Stuff

Alan Cox wrote:
Commerical UNIX's now have to worry about being compatible with Linux,
rather than the other way around.  And most facilities we would want
are usefull for other things, in any case.

So I no longer believe that getting kernel changes for the desktop
is a futile exercise anymore, the way it was a few years ago.

It isnt the kernel changes that are the big problem. Linux and *BSD will
adopt sane changes and even work together on them sometimes. I'm sure
the Sun guys are taking notes too.

The problem is legacy infrastructure - NFS has no EA's for example or
file notifications

on the compatibility / legacy side its not so much things like NFS but things like 'hey, what do you mean my glibc is 3 years old, it worlks just fine'. Seriously - there is no reason to assume people will do base system upgardes on a different cycle than the usual 3-4 year PC upgrade cycle. This is going to increasingly affect what is easily deplyoable by vendors and supportabel by open source projects as a minimum system level.

also, its odd seeing people want EA when gnome doesn't really even do anything useful (or cope with) just plain old ACL-s.

--
	Sander

OpenOffice.org - conquering the world 14000 PC-s at a time