Re: Desktop Kernel Stuff

> And while the following may be a console-owner thing, it would be nice
> for "Suspend Computer" in the battery applet's menu to Just Work without
> having to configure everything.  Right now I have to add sudo
> permissions so that I can run "apm --suspend", etc.

Up to your BIOS vendor. APM is bios driven and there the fun begins,
2.5.x supports ACPI S4 which is at least under our control

> As a completely unrelated issue, and maybe work is already underway ---
> the X server should be able to get notified about the vblank interrupt
> of the video card so that it can blit things during the vertical
> retrace.  This is not horribly critical, but it could make the desktop
> appear smoother.

X server has full support for this, someone has to write the kernel code.
About forty people have volunteered over the past 4 years none of them
ever did it.

Anyone interested should talk to Jim Gettys and me