Re: NEWS entry format

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, Owen Taylor wrote:

> Jeff Waugh <jdub perkypants org> writes:
>
> > Hey gang,
> >
> > So, no one had any ideas for a 'standard NEWS entry format'. How about:
> >
> >   anystring <- one line with any string, at start of file or after newline
> >   === <- line beginning with '=' sign
> >   \n <- blank line
> >
> > I've got some ChangeLog parsing foo, but I'd like to make sure that NEWS
> > entries are pulled out as well.
>
> If you want to handle the GTK+ NEWS, you actually need to scan
> to the next:
>
> anystring
> ====

that's only since 1.3.1, before that, the pattern to detect an
entry would be ^[A-Z]:

Overview of Changes in GTK+ 1.3.1:

* GTK+ now uses the Pango library for text manipulation. [...]

this is btw what beast continues to use, but conflicts
with extra comments in newer NEWS version from e.g. gtk,
where you'd e.g. put:

Other contributors: a, b, c, ...

> Things like that.

so i guess that means we should adapt syntax in all our old
NEWS entries? ;(

> Regards,
>                                         Owen

---