RE: 2.4 Module List - zenity

> From: Glynn Foster [mailto:glynn foster sun com]
> If I'm adding options, then there isn't an
> issue.

Sure there is. You'll have to give the executable a different name, or
confuse people when their scripts don't work with an older version. That
might not be nice.

> If
> I'm changing options or how they interact, then I'll have to add some
> legacy support or something.

That might not be easy without having clearly separate old and new APIs.

Actually I don't think it will be possible in practice to change the API
ever, which kind of suggest it needs to be well-exercised before being
frozen. Addition might be possible.

> I first want to get zenity into a stable state - it mostly is
> right now,
> but I have a few things to add before it's ready for GNOME 2.4 [if
> people accept it]

Are the scripting community using it. It would be nice for the scipts on
that Nautilus scripting website to be pruned so that just the
still-useful-with-GNOME2 ones remain, and they could be ported to zenity.

> > Is this a TreeView?
>
> Yes.
>
> > How is list data provided?
>
> >From the command line and soon through stdin.
>
> > How is structured data such as this returned?
>
> Generally you return the data in the first column - probably
> needs some
> more though of what people need from it. File bugs in
> bugzilla.gnome.org, component zenity.

Is there high demand for TreeView functionality via zenity? I suspect it's
going to get complicated/difficult fast.

> 	ie. foo/bar/blah   [depending on what the seperator is]
>
> You should read the help documents that come with zenity. They'll
> explain things a little more.

I'm being lazy, I know.

Murray Cumming
murrayc usa net