Re: Gnome-bugsquad digest, Vol 1 #212 - 5 msgs

On 24 Apr 2003, Elijah P Newren wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 12:06:56PM -0400, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > > I have a problem handling the Nautilus bugzilla emails. Given that I
> > > have a lot of stuff to do, and that I have to actually hack on
> > > Nautilus also there is just no way I can keep up with the spew from
> > > nautilus-maint....an average of 42.6 bugzilla emails a day for
> > > nautilus and eel...
> > >
> > > Does anyone have any ideas how this could be improved?
> >
> > What Nautilus needs, probably more than any other application, is a
> > QA/bugsquad person who is working closely with you and Dave doing triage,
> > someone who understands the development process well enough to elevate bugs to
> > your attention so you don't have to look at every single change in every
> > single bug.
> >
> > The technical details on how to flag those elevated bugs... are less
> > important than the need for a human...
>
> As someone just doing general bug triaging, I can definitely understand
> the massively overwhelming amount of mail that nautilus has to
> generate.  I agree with John here, and have a simple proposal for the
> technical details on how to elevate those important bugs.  I'd suggest
> creating another mail alias (nautilus-priority or something similar),
> which is only added to bugs which are deemed important.  Then, once
> enough people are on the nautilus-maint list, you and Dave (and perhaps
> others?) are removed from it.  Then you only get spam from important
> bugs, but there's still people to take care of the general maintainer
> list bugs.

This sounds workable, however having to reassign bugs constantly seems a
bit to much work. I've currently installed a procmail filter that puts any
bug reports with Priority >= High in a special folder. I've also given the
procmail rule to dave, so i guess he has it installed to. This means
people just need to raise priority to High to get us to notice things
faster. This can of course be abused, but I expect that won't be to common
to be a bother.

As long as all nautilus bug triagers know this I think it will work as
well as a separate list.

> Another option [that could perhaps be used in addition to the above]:
> since nautilus-maint sounds so huge that it may be hard to find
> volunteers for, is to get rid of the nautilus-maint alias, but create
> several smaller aliases (e.g. nautilus-desktop-maint,
> nautilus-thumbnails-maint, etc.)

Nah, that just sounds like more work. The same people (me and dave) would
need to be on all those anyway. The problem is not that the bugs are in
areas we don't care about, the problem is that we can only care about the
most prioritized bugs.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's an underprivileged native American rock star from a doomed world. She's a
blind belly-dancing opera singer with only herself to blame. They fight crime!