New user preferences program/capplet for RandR needed.

Keith Packard and I just checked RandR into the main XFree86 tree for
the XFree86 server (as opposed to the prototype we had in TinyX).

This allows resize, rotate, and potentially reflection of the screen
under program control.  (if you wonder about reflection, think about
turning a reflective display into a poor man's HUD on your car....)

So guess what?  This means Gnome needs some more UI to control this.

Keith/Owen are hacking on the GTK support right now.

Metacity patches have been checked in.

Keith's messing with the gnome panel right now.

But we need a UI for controlling size/rotation/reflection of each
screen.

The UI seems like a nice project for someone interested.

We leave control of refresh rate to the vidmode extension; but that
may also want to be part of a UI.

There is also thought needed on how RandR should interact with
xinerama going on on the xpert mailing list.

Note that we are *NOT* implementing depth switching at this time;
so the depth of your root window is constrained to remain constant
during a server generation.
                          - Jim

--
Jim Gettys