Ideas w/r/t HIG spacing and indentation guidelines

Hi. Just some random thoughts...

The HIG requires most widgets to be labeled -- either with a
colon-terminated Label at the side (with 12 pixels of spacing) or by
putting the widget under a label, indented by 12 or some other
multiple of 6 pixels (IIRC).

Indenting widgets is hard to do, because there's no way to put padding
on one side of a widget in a container -- padding always goes to both
sides. How do you indent widgets anyway? I tried and I've given up,
probably you need GtkFixed to do it, unless there's some invisible
spacer widget that I've missed on. GtkAlignment would work if there
was some way to tell the alignment container to "just be 12 pixels
wider than your child".

It would be nice to have a container that does the same as GtkFrame,
but instead of drawing a titled frame, it would just display a title
and indent the container contents under it.

Nesting these containers (name? say, GnomeTitled -- I don't think this
would be allowed into GTK+ as the HIG is GNOME-specific) would
automatically format higher-level headers in larger print, boldface
etc.

That way, you could achieve a HIG-compliant, structured dialog just by
nesting a couple of GnomeTitled containers -- no tables, no GtkFixed,
no hacks, and no manual formatting of GtkLabel typefaces. This would
also take care of RTL issues because the justification of the entire
assembly isn't hardcoded.

OK, just tell me I'm on crack :)

mawa
--