Re: very rough pre-gep tentative new modules list

<quote who="Glynn Foster">

> > I think it's an important goal for the community to make a lot of these
> > kinds of decisions (and concessions!) before the distributors have to.
> > Participating in that process will raise everyone's boats, and hopefully
> > keep everyone on the same page.
>
> Absolutely, that would be ideal....but this is certainly not what [to my
> mind anyway] the GEP is currently doing.

Do you mean the GEP process in general, or the one I haven't published yet
(see, it's not really inspiring stuff, but I'm also a lazy bastardo) that
talks about the modules definition process?

> Companies have often funny ideas/requirements - I know Sun really cares
> about having solid interfaces [1]. By that I mean -
>
> 	configuration/data file locations configuration/data file formats api UI
>
> ie. compatibility, consitancy, yadda yadda
>
> Oh man, we *so* need a policy for some sort of common GNOME file
> locations - etc/ and share/ are awash with inconsistancy :(

"Gee, someone should write a GEP for that..." :-)

It could contribute to the maintainer's guide, too.

- Jeff

--
          Perl: Making thick Windows admins redundant since 1987.