Re: GEP-4 : Versioning and branching rules proposal

<quote who="Thomas Vander Stichele">

> Let's take an other example - metacity is up to version 2.4.0 - do we let
> it "downgrade" because of this and cause massive confusion when gnome 2.4
> is out ?

Heh, d'oh.

> I'd like to know what these rules would mean for fifth-toe stuff.

This is really only meant to apply to Developer Platform and Desktop stuff,
and even then, some of it is NOTQUITEGNOME.

For instance, I don't think this should necessarily apply to ORBit2,
libxml2/libxslt, GTK+, etc. Keeping the 100% GNOME stuff in line will be
great, but we can't expect it from everyone else.

Perhaps this should be called a 'recommendation', though I'd really love to
see some of the sanity-preserving stuff be a 'rule'. :-)

- Jeff

--
         "Spend your 'different points' wisely." - Havoc Pennington