Re: Gnome login performance

Brian Cameron <Brian Cameron sun com> writes:
> /desktop/gnome/accessibility/keyboard/enable
> /desktop/gnome/accessibility/keyboard/feature_state_change_beep
> /desktop/gnome/accessibility/keyboard/timeout

This keyboard stuff looks likely to be a plain old bug of some kind,

> /desktop/gnome/applications/window_manager/default

This too.

> /apps/nautilus/sound_state

Also looks misguided, storing state rather than prefs in gconf.

> *** suggestion to sync all config data
>
> /apps/panel/profiles/default/objects/<id val>/object_type
> /apps/panel/profiles/default/objects/<id val>/panel_right_stick
> /apps/panel/profiles/default/objects/<id val>/position
> /apps/panel/profiles/default/objects/<id val>/panel_id

Panel stuff I can imagine why it's done, but we can probably use
timeouts/idles and do-not-set-if-unchanged short-circuits to chill it
out somewhat, I bet.

Also, the suggest_sync thing is pretty silly API for gconf to have,
should probably be made to do nothing on the gconf end. But taking
calls to it out of apps would be good too.

I'd say we should get each of the above in bugzilla and fix
them. It'll save us time on login, and fix gconf usage semantically as
well.

Havoc