Re: Mailing list cleanup proposal

On Sat, Nov 30, 2002 at 11:53:11PM +1100 or thereabouts, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Jeff Waugh">
>
> > It's mostly a cleanup of deprecated lists, and getting descriptions right.
> > Jonathan asked what would happen to archives... About half of the deprecated
> > lists are just shells, so their archives would be removed, the rest would be
> > shifted with any list moves.
>
> Oh, Jonathan also suggested that in future, we ought to avoid both gnome-*
> and *-list. They're kinda redundant. :-)

Only if you are only reading gnome.org lists.

If you are reading several projects' mailing lists, and they all
dropped the name of the project from the mailing list names, you
would end up with five lists called "devel".

I think consistency is more important. Having half the lists
end in -list and the other half not is a pest when deciding
to check out an archive and guessing the right URL.

I don't mind redoing all my mutt and procmail rules if it's
towards something more consistent. Well, I do. I just mind
less. But I do mind if someone just changes things because
"well, we're changing lots, we might as well change these
too".

Telsa