Re: Enter the build sheriff: Jacob.

We don't use "yes/no" or "no/yes". I suspect that will bother you too,
but if that is the case, please address that issue rather than knocking
down straw men. "no/yes" is very awkward and would be a big strike
against the G2 button ordering. But we strongly recommend against using
dialogues with "yes", "no" buttons. So in compliant applications this
situation should not occur.

The loose principal behind this is that dialogues represent actions, and
it is better to phrase them in an active form, rather than as a
conversational interface. Thus figuratively the user performs the
action, rather than consenting to an action the computer performs.

(there are still a number of "no/yes" dialogues in GNOME2, particularly
in gnome games, there just wasn't enough time to convert all of them,
but I think the important dialogues have been converted)

This contains a theoretical justification for the G2 button order:
http://lists.gnome.org/archives/gnome-list/2002-February/msg00317.html

This contains the relevant results of a rather informal user test that
at least provides some "user testing evidence":
http://lists.gnome.org/archives/gnome-list/2002-February/msg00328.html

-seth