Re: Traveling to Sevilla, the easy way.

On Tue, 2002-03-12 at 07:32, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-03-11 at 11:43, Jon Trowbridge wrote:
> > On Mon, 2002-03-11 at 12:19, Miguel de Icaza wrote:
> > >    I heard that a few people were having trouble finding cheap flights
> > > to Sevilla for attending GUADEC.
> > >
> > >    The trick is to not fly into Sevilla, but instead to fly into Madrid,
> > > and then take the train from Madrid to Sevilla.  The train is pretty
> > > cheap, and the various instructions are on the guadec web site.
> >
> > Another tip: I was unable to find a reasonable flight from the US by
> > using the big travel sites (Travelocity, Orbitz, etc.), but in the end I
> > got a great fare by booking directly on Iberia's website.
>
> Your Spanish must be a lot less rusty than mine!  I'm working terribly
> hard to translate all of this as I go along...  Oh, wait, there's a USA
> version, wee!

Just another tip: Usually Spanair has better prices than Iberia,
specially if you're under 25.  The fly Paris -> Alicante (Paris ->
Malaga or Madrid should have the same price, or be a little cheaper)
costs me 120E.  The problem with Spanair is that their webpage sucks
really hard, and it might be very tricky to find the cheap flights.

So, in short, if you come from Europe, first try Spanair, and if you
don't find anything, then try Iberia (degriftour also has great
discounts for last minute fligths

> While I'm thinking of it, how well do the locals in seville speak
> English?

:-)
I don't know if this point has changed since last time I was there, but
I don't think so...

Don't expect to find anybody able to speak english.  Of course, that
includes the train station and the hotel (you may be lucky, and find
somebody that speaks english in the hotel, but don't count on it).

Bring with you a little dict., it will be useful.  If you find yourself
lost in Sevilla, and you're hungry, say "Quiero una tapa" :-)

Cheers,

--
Joaquin Cuenca Abela
cuenca pacaterie u-psud fr