GStreamer 0.3.3 aka 'GUADEC By Foot' released

GStreamer "GUADEC By Foot" 0.3.3 released

The GStreamer team is happy to announce another release of the GStreamer
streaming-media framework. This is our first release using GLib 2.0 and
libxml2 as the sole compile platform. We have also started including all
our documentation in our RPMS starting this release. People wanting to
build GStreamer themselves with documentation should look at the
DOCBUILDING file (found in the src root directory) for some information
on what packages are needed to build that successfully.

Another new feature of this release is the gst-launch-ext command-line
application. It uses predefined pipelines to play back media files based
on their file extension. This means that you don't need to construct
your own pipelines using gst-launch if all you want to do is play a
file. Just type gst-launch-ext [filename] and the audiofile or movie
plays for you. This of course also being a work in progress means that
sometimes it might decide on the wrong pipeline, or cause jitter, as
well as random headaches.

For help building GStreamer, take a look at our build help document
found at http://www.gstreamer.net/releases/0.3.3/buildhelp.php.

Updates and Enhancements

	* modplug plugin, plays the same media as mikmod plugin but 	without an
external library dependency
    	* Ogg Tarkin encoding and decoding plugins
    	* New gst-launch-ext commandline tool for more failproof
	mediaplayback
    	* Improvements on build system
    	* Audio/video masterclock system
    	* Problems with .vob playback with autoplugger fixed
    	* Fixes in avi and v4l plugins
    	* new gstrec plugin for improved video recording
    	* Consolidation of number of RPMS
    	* More portability work
    	* Documentation added to gstreamer RPM
    	* Devhelp (http://devhelp.sourceforge.net) books of GStreamer
	documentation added
    	* new cothreads package
        * portable machine context switching code taken from GNU Pth
	(thanks, Ralf!)
        	* new stack allocation methods allow essentially 		infinite
number of cothreads with run-time 		configurability
        	* stack allocation code should be able to run within 		kernel
	threads of all pthread implementations, unlike
		old cothreads package
    	* new scheduler that uses the new cothreads package
        * uses new cothreads package
        * allows multiple managing bins (pipelines) within same pthread
	(GThread actually)
        * pass --gst-scheduler=standard to your app to use
    	* capsnego updates to many plugins
    	* complete switch to glib2 and libxml
    	* popt integration
    	* major update of dparams API
    	* many updates to the player application, finally
    	* Goom visualisation plugin now part of stable build
    	* Synaesthesia visualisation plugin now works
    	* Monoscope visualisation added
    	* ESD Monitor plugin added
    	* autogen.sh allows specification of different autoconf/automake
	paths (beta)

More details on these features can be found on the project's website,
http://gstreamer.net/

Instructions on how to download GStreamer binaries can be found at:
http://www.gstreamer.net/releases/0.3.3/

If you use Red Hat (or possibly other RPM-based systems), RPMs for both
GStreamer itself, external libraries and development tools not included
in the standard reference distribution (RedHat 7.2) can be found in
http://gstreamer.net/releases/current/redhat.

GStreamer is hosted on SourceForge, so support requests and bugs may be
filed as usual. Interested developers of the core library, plugins, and
applications should subscribe to the gstreamer-devel list. If there is
sufficient interest we will create more lists as necessary.

We are still looking for people with access to Solaris, HP-UX, Irix and
True64 that would be willing to try building and testing GStreamer.
Patches fixing such problems are also more than welcome.

Contributors to this release

Core

    * Erik Walthinsen <omega temple-baptist com>
    * Wim Taymans <wim taymans chello be>
    * Thomas Vander Stichele <thomas apestaart org>
    * Andy Wingo <wingo pobox com>
    * Benjamin Otte <in7y118 public uni-hamburg de>
    * Michael Meeks <mmeeks ximian com>

Plugins and Sample Applications

    * Richard Boulton <richard tartarus org>
    * David Lehn <dlehn vt edu>
    * Ronald Bultje <rbultje ronald bitfreak net>
    * Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>
    * Martin Enlund <martin enlund net>
    * Leif Morgan Johnson <lmjohns3 eos ncsu edu>
    * Arik Devens <arik gnome org>
    * Jérémy SIMON <jsimon13 yahoo fr>
    * Zeeshan Ali Khattak <zak147 yahoo com>
    * Steve Baker <stevebaker_org yahoo co uk>

Misc

    * Christian Schaller <christian schaller linuxrising org>
    * wrobell <wrobell ite pl>