esound and libao

Again, I'm not sure I'm in the right forum here...

I was thinking that esound is only marginally useful to me while running
alsa, because alsa already supports multiple simultaneous output
streams.

I wonder how hard it would be to move esound's mixing engine to libao,
and add read support, so 1) esd could focus on actually managing streams
and 2) kernel audio interfaces would only have to be in one place.

Any comments?

- Kevin Cody Jr

P.S. By way of introduction, I'm a sysadmin by trade with a CS
background. I'm definitely in the "power user" category.

My main devel box is running RH7.2, and also serves as the centerpiece
of my home entertainment system.