Re: gep-1

Hi Murray,

On 27 Aug 2002, Murray Cumming wrote:

> On Tue, 2002-08-27 at 09:31, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
>
> > 	This isn't a big job at all. A couple of days at the very
> > outside. We just need to come to a decision.
>
> If you can do it fast then it's fine with me. And I don't just mean the
> creation of the language bindings module. I won't believe that that API
> is sufficient until a separate ORBit2/C++ builds. That's me acting like
> an ignorant manager, but it would be foolish of me to pretend to
> understand the ORBit internals fully.

	It worked with ORBit0, and this tuff hasn't changed *that*
significantly since then - unless I'm missing something.

> I am interested to know what made you change your mind. You seemed to
> support a merge when Michael first suggested it. I haven't seen any new
> arguments here, just a different weighting given to them.

	Heh :-) I actually remember being the one suggesting it, but
either way, I was fully behind it. I even had stranger ideas of having
the scripting bindings in there too. At the time, I was just very,
very concerned that freezing down these parts of the ORB would
seriously hinder us from being able to make future improvements to the
core. IMHO, this is partly why ORBit0 and ORBit HEAD development
ground to a halt. Anyway, in hindsight explicitly stating that these
parts of the ORB are internal and are not frozen seems to be enough
for us.

Good Luck,
Mark.