Re: gep-1

On Tue, 2002-08-27 at 08:57, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Murray Cumming">
>
> > This is not about forcing C++ on anyone. It is about making it available
> > to the people who want it. I believe that conditional compilation will
> > mean that it is not available on packaged systems, and that would
> > effectively kill it.
>
> Hmm, why is that?

As I said before:
Only the default build will be
packaged as RPM as debs, so people won't actually have access to the C++
stuff. I don't have enough confidence that package builders will be able
to cope with this situation.

To elaborate: It's hard enough getting things packaged properly as it
is, when it's one RPM/deb (and maybe a separate -devel) per project. I
don't look forward to explaining to packagers that they need to create a
separate package that has "some stuff from ORBit2 that gets built when a
certain configuration option is used". I know it's me that's going to
have to chase this, and I know I'm going to be very bitter about wasting
all that time.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc usa net