Re: What are the community's goals for 2.0? [was Re: Getting serious about releasing]

On Wed, 2002-04-24 at 08:03, louie peabody ximian com wrote:
<snip>
> 2) I forgot one item in this list: I know there is a sense of burnout
> among some people in the community, but what I'm seeing in the numbers
> and on the lists is increased interest in 2.0 and increased rates of
> bug-fixing. Hell, even nautilus is getting random people spontaneously

Fixing bugs is quite fun... Porting apps is a PITA when you've already
done it quite a number of times. Especially when nobody is helping out.

The games contain all the same things to port and it's pretty damn
boring. The other persons hacking on gnome-games ported GNect, jrb takes
care of aisleriot, but nobody else is doing porting.

> picking bugs and fixing them :) If we really are building momentum, it
> seems like we should be capitalizing on that and standing firm on our
> quality goals, not giving in and cutting things just as (from where I
> stand) things are getting good from an involvement perspective. I for

Well, I, for one, am losing momentum. Lack of feedback, general porting
boredom, and it's not like Gnome is putting any bread on my table.

> one find it exciting to be involved in something moving rapidly
> towards kicking much ass and I think other people are beginning to
> feel that way too. Compromising on quality seems to me like a very
> quick way to damage that excitement and momentum.

Cheers

--
/Bastien Nocera
http://hadess.net