vfolder related stuff

hi

i'm starting to take a look at the vfolder vfs method, and the first
thing i decided to do was to see where/how the data is stored on disk,
here is what i found, IMHO it is a mess...

looking at the data that is splitted into the gnome hierarchy i'm
seeing:

	etc/gnome-vfs-2.0/vfolders/applications.vfolder-info
	etc/gnome-vfs-2.0/vfolders/preferences.vfolder-info

this files seem to contain the rules to define the directories (folders)
that contain the applications and the rules used to fill them.

	share/applications/*

that contain the launchers.

	share/gnome/apps/*

that also seem to contain folders and launchers, maybe this is
deprecated and should not be used?

	share/gnome/vfolders/*

that contain the directories under which the applications are placed

and then we have .gnome2/vfolders/*, I don't know how this is supposed
to be used, but after making a simple program i think that the logic in
the vfolders module to merge this with the default one is broken. Or
maybe i have not understand how to add a custom item to the menu bar.
Can somebody with knowledge put some light in this?

other findings: Gnumeric seems to install a .desktop file under
share/mc/templates. Nautilus installs 2 .desktop files in
share/nautilus, metacity install a desktop file in gnome/wm-properties

------------------------

Then, we have the preferences:/// uri, shows what used to be the
control-center:

	share/control-center/*
	share/control-center-2.0/*
	share/control-center-2/*
	gnome/capplets/*

all of these directories seem to contain .desktop files used to
configure the system.

------------------------

Supposing that this is not the intended distribution of all those files,
i would suggest this to be fixed as soon as posible, we are still on
beta and i think we can find a more ordered/convenient/smarter way to
store these files.

I also think that we need a script that will place these files in the
right places, avoid what i think is currently a mess.

Am i wrong thinking this is a mess?

Diego

BTW here is another brief summury about the places that seem to have
information about mime types currently:

	share/application-registry
	share/mime-info
	~/.gnome/mime-info