Re: [Fwd: Re: [Fwd: Re: GNOME CVS: CVSROOT naba]]

Hi

En lun, 2001-09-24 a 19:17, Gregory Leblanc escribio:
> This ended up in private mail, but it's going to the list now.
> 	Greg
> ----
>

> From: Naba Kumar <kh_naba yahoo com>
> To: Gregory Leblanc <gleblanc linuxweasel com>
> Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: GNOME CVS: CVSROOT naba]
> Date: 24 Sep 2001 21:35:09 +0530
>
> On 23 Sep 2001 10:39:54 -0700, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> > Here are some replies that went to the gnome-hackers mailing list.
> > BTW, what email address should we be using?  The one associated with
> > your cvs account doesn't work (I think it's @123india.com)
> > 	Greg
> >
> I am sorry about my old email address. It was broken when the
> 123india.com people started to fully commertialize their web portal. Is
> there a way to change my email address associated with cvs? My proper
> email is kh_naba users sourceforge net
>
> As for the second module (anjuta2), my straight thought was from the
> existing dual modules in the cvs (many projects started a different
> modules for the same projects). So naturally, my first instinct was to
> create a new one rather than to go for branching, especially for a big
> rewrite. I have absolutely no objection to use a branch instead of a
> separate module.

I can help you to do it, please Could I branch the actual anjuta module
as gnome-1-4 or something like that and then commit your anjuta2 changes
into anjuta's HEAD?

> Well, I think anybody wishing to start a new module would make the same
> mistake and straight way go for an import (like the recent glimmer2
> import). To avoid these in future, a script at the import time can check
> if any new modules are being imported in the cvsroot and accourdingly
> told that the cvsmasters be contacted to import a new module in the
> cvsroot. Unless, of course, a better way to handle this could be
> devised.

About glimmer2... I was talking with chicane and was my fault, I didn't
remember that glimmer 1.x is at sourceforne.net (but I think that he
should upload the actual glimmer 1.x and then branch it to made the live
easy to his glimmer 1.x contributors. But this is another history.

I think that new modules imports must be asked at gnome-hackers before
importing it at cvs.gnome.org.

> Also, before we consider shifting the module, I need to talk to the gIDE
> people about a possible merge of gIDE and anjuta in the forthcoming
> re-write. If this talk results in a complete merge of the two, then
> having  a separate module for the combined projects makes more sense
> than to branch it in either anjuta or gIDE.

Yes, you are right, but until this moment... Could we solve this
"problem"? This kind of "merge" are very difficult and are not done in
two days... (But I will be very happy when you finish this merge).

> Dave Camp is busy with the ximiam trying to meet a deadline, so I could
> not commense a discussion with him right now. May be in this week he
> should be able to spare some time for this discussion.
>
> There obviously will be some commits from my side in anjuta2 before we
> settle to a possible architecture for the merge. If these commits can
> make things difficult later, then I do suggest that we immidiately
> transfer it into the branch, otherwise, this module may me considered as
> the merge of the two and left as it is in the cvs for persuing the
> combined development.

As many commits you do at anjuta2, then It will more difficult to put
all this changes in a branch, so please stop for one day or so and I
will do the merge (if you want).

> Suggestions?

Do you want more suggestions? ;-)