experimental changes to GConf stable branch

Hi,

In CVS stable branch of GConf I put in some experimental changes to
use a different mechanism for locating gconfd, which will interoperate
with GConf 2 if I commit the same changes to GConf HEAD (waiting a few
days on that due to platform alpha). This also changes and hopefully
improves the locking that keeps gconfd unique; previously there were a
couple obscure races and just general breakage.

There are also some unrelated fixes such as Yanko's patch to add
GCONF_SCHEMA_FILE_DIR to the AM_GCONF_SOURCE macro.

I'd appreciate people trying out these changes, so we can see what
breaks before I make a new stable release and/or merge to HEAD.
Let me know if anything weird happens.

Thanks,
Havoc