Re: libsoup as a replacement for gnome-http

On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 07:30:42AM -0400, Alex Graveley wrote:
> On Wed, 2001-09-19 at 06:53, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> >   yes it sounds cool. The question is "does it makes sense to incorporate
> > it as part of the platform at this point ?"
>
> Good question :)  I would like to drop gnome-http.  I am indifferent as
> to whether it is replaced with a specialized HTTP library in the
> platform.

Most of the discussion in this thread has made sense to me. However,
there is one point I would like to bring into the light: I think it is a
good idea if we aim to have a reasonably complete HTTP library in the
core platform libraries.

It's not just a question of whether anything is using it now, but is it
a protocol that we think we should be encouraging people to use? In
other words, if we build it, will they come? I would think so and if it
is offered as a standard library we are less likely to have the case of
every second package requiring a new HTTP library of some description.

That said, the points about wanting to use solid, proven, maintained
code are also of some concern. But I don't want gnome-http to just
disappear quietly into the night without a replacement.

Malcolm

--
Telepath required. You know where to apply...