Re: What to do in order to make the gnome development platform rock.

On Mon, Sep 17, 2001 at 03:24:06PM +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:
> > org.gnome.xml                           - libxml (if it makes sence to
> > bind)
>
> Probably not. We shouldn't force the use of any particular parser,
> particularly when the language may have it's own parsers. I find it very
> annoying that QT (a GUI toolkit) contains an XML parser and a database
> API.

  Show me with the standardized APIs how to:
    - do a posteriori validation of a modified document
    - use/manipulate XML Catalogs
    - run an XSLT processing (API not standardized at the Java level within
      W3C).

 I think I can in confidence point you to a number of *required* APIs
used *right now* for Gnome (2.0) which have no equivalent in W3C APIs.
And that's not a surprize because W3C don't do APIs standardization
unless forced (for good reasons too).

 So you're suggesting to use Java native tools for those operation,
when available which is not the default since those are added packages.
I'm sorry, a number of people came to libxml/libxslt telling me that
Xerces/Xalan APIs sucks, they are my customer base, I trust them, and
if they want to do a Java binding (within or outside the Gnome project)
I very much welcome their effort !

Daniel