Re: gdkxft (or, take two on AA text for GTK 1.2.X).

On Sun, 2001-09-02 at 10:42, Jim Gettys wrote:
> Anyone play with this?  Seems to work without requiring source changes to
> GTK.  AA text on the iPAQ beats the old stuff hands down, as you tend
> to be looking at the screen from a smaller distance than usual, and
> it is an LCD.
>
> See:
> http://philrsss.anu.edu.au/~josh/gdkxft/
> http://philrsss.anu.edu.au/~josh/gdkxft/README
>
> Or am I better off playing with the patches that are floating around?
>
> Also note the comments that say that some GTK widgets are drawing themselves
> twice, which is generally considered a bug :-).

I've been playing around with it, and it seems pretty good once you get
your fonts correct. The only thing I have real problems with is
Galeon/Gecko, which doesn't seem to want to draw things AA, but layout
gets really messed up. I can't explain it, but selecting text makes the
text scroll and it goes all screwy. Not sure why it happens, but when I
run Galeon as LD_PRELOAD= galeon, it's all fixed. Another problem I've
noticed is that the font selector seems to only draw things with one
font.

If you can live with these, then it seems okay. Seems typing text in
Evolution is slightly slower, but not noticable. Some fonts are also
drawn funny, noticably "u" is larger. I'm guessing these are XFT
problems though.

iain