Re: On the cost of libraries

On Sat, 2001-09-01 at 16:09, Alex Larsson wrote:
> To summarize, I think our current model is good and adding libraries
> is not a huge problem for us, although I would recommend against random
> splitting of libraries (i.e. the 10 guppy libraries linked to by gnucash
> might serve as a bad example).

A very bad example indeed.  Guppi has a zillion shared libraries because
I wanted to divide up the code in a certain way for convenience, and
libtool/automake disagreed with my approach. :-)  It has always been my
intention to merge most of the libraries at some point.

Though in the guppi/gnucash case, gnucash is using a very-high-level
wrapper provided by guppi that abstracts away almost all of guppi's
vast, sprawling API.  I'd be surprised if gnucash is dereferencing more
than 10 symbols from guppi's libs.

So while I'm certainly not advocating the kind of brain-damanged
splitting that I've been doing in guppi, I would be curious to know how
much my broken approach actually slows down gnucash start-up.

-JT