Re: global session ID

Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Trying to figure out how to implement a global session ID for saving
> properties shared by all apps in a session.
>
> The SM protocol is not especially extensible. The options I've come up
> with so far:
>
>  a) add a virtual "GlobalSessionID" property, which apps could
>     retrieve with a GetProperties request. disadvantage:
>     efficiency. Apps would need to get all their properties
>     (which they don't normally need) in order to get this one.

This sounds like the right one; if it's only a couple of roundtrips
and a few hundred bytes of data, then efficiency shouldn't
be a problem. Easy enough to time, anyways.

(Unlike the communicate-over-properties hacks we do now for
listing clients, etc, this strikes me as being passibly
clean.)

>  b) use an X root window property set by the session manager.
>     disadvantage: X-specific

Possible, but seems sort of against the grain of the SM protocol.

>  c) create a custom ICE protocol. disadvantage: complicated

Yep, far too much work, IMO.

>  d) have the session manager set a GConf key
>     /desktop/standard/global_session_name or something.
>     disadvantage: requires GConf

And doesn't work if you have two sessions running at the
same time...

Regards,
                                        Owen