Re: GNOME 2.0 Schedule

> By the way - do we have to keep the panel as it stands now? Would it take
> more or less time to write a new panel providing the same (or nearly the
> same, we can do without some of whatit does initialy) functionality using
> gnome2 apis than port the present ... set of code (which just incidentaily
> likes to take loads and loads of memory during runtime).

on the surface...yes. But I think the realistic answer is no (after
having looked into this myself). It took a long time to stabilize the
panel sufficiently for it to be really stable enough to not be annoying.
Also, lots of fudgety little code bits like making applets move around
nicely and stuff are already written.

Sure, the base architecture would be cleaner and easier to write. But I
think there's a lot of if...then sorts of code people forget about that
just has to happen.

-seth