Re: Nautilus bugs getting lost

On Sat, Oct 06, 2001 at 06:06:05AM -0400, Alan Cox wrote:
> > On 05 Oct 2001 10:35:15 -0700, Darin Adler wrote:
> > > on 10/5/01 8:23 AM, Havoc Pennington at hp redhat com wrote:
> > >
> > . The job of categorizing and finding duplicates is not such
> > > a huge burden. We just need a bit more help; more contributors like John
> > > Fleck.
> > >

> > What sort of help? Fixing bugs I cant do, categorizing and verifying I
> > can.
>
> I can tell you what Telsa did for gnorpm when we tackled that
>
> -	Merged together obviously identical bugs
> -	Made a note of the most commonly reported bugs
> -	Closed bugs that were duplicates of a fixed bug
> -	Closed bugs that were for very old releases with please upgrade
> 	and report if that helps
>
> that made it very easy to see the serious problems, the problems that while
> less serious everyone complained about, and also to figure out what to fix
> first time around.

The best thing to do with Nautilus is pick a Nautilus component and do
as Alan suggested above. The ones that are enhancement requests need to be
marked that way, the ones that are cryptic one-line comments from the
old Eazel development team - "we need to implement a frazilator in the
nautilus_shower_nozzle function" I've been marking "needinfo" with a
note asking the appropriate developers to please elaborate on what the
hell they were talking about, and do we still need to do this?

If you feel like you can make a confident guess about whether the bug
needs to be dealt with for the GNOME 2 release or can be postponed,
mark the Target Milestone "2" or "future", too.

Cheers,
--
John Fleck
jfleck inkstain net (h), http://www.inkstain.net/fleck/