Re: GNOME CVS: gnome-core mmclouglin

Mark McLoughlin wrote:

> Hi Carlos,
>
> On 23 Nov 2001, Carlos Perelló Marín wrote:
>
> > El vie, 23-11-2001 a las 09:58, Gnome CVS User escribió:
> >
> > I have a question... This way, could we load remote applets and get
> > remote icons for this applet?
> >
> > I mean, I could have the Foo_Applet in a remote server and the panel in
> > my local machine and the Foo_Applet is not installed here, so the icon
> > is also at remote server. Should we add a method in our applet's bonobo
> > methods to get its icon?
>
>         I didn't realise it, but this was actually discussed before
> and a solution was even designed[1], but not implemented ....
>
>         Essentially, when configuring, take the icon, encode it in xml
> and stuff it in the .server file. It would work, and its all very
> exotic and stuff, but personally I think its rather crack laden :-)

I think this sounds better when you consider SVG as the logical XML
type, and that we have talked about supporting SVG icons for awhile.

SVG icons also would be themeable in ways that pixmaps are not - i.e.
filter and color substitution, scaling, etc.

I heard recently that we have a librsvg library (from Raph I think) that
can render simple SVG, so this mightn't be as far away as it looks.

-Bill