Re: scripting apps

Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Hi,
>
> At ALS it was pointed out that it would be nice to have simple
> user-level scripting - something like "choose the following menu item,
> enter the following text" - which wouldn't require knowledge of IDL or
> anything like that. We quickly realized that the accessibility
> framework already provides the necessary hooks, and we'd just need to
> add a little more glue and some Python bindings for appropriate APIs.
>
> An interesting project for someone...

Indeed.  And we have discussed the desirability of providing some degree
of scripting support for assistive technologies such as the Gnopernicus
screenreader, so that application-specific behavior can be readily added
and customized.  Certainly we'd like to leverage the efforts in this
area, this email is a suggestion that at least some of the scripting
support might belong outside of the assistive-technology APIs
themselves.

One question then is whether these hooks should be bindings for ATK
(in-process), or for at-spi (out-of-process, and potentially remote,
which is where they need to be for assistive technologies).

-Bill