Re: Addition to clock applet

On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 10:50:32PM +0000, Phil Borman wrote:
> I've added a "fuzzy" mode to the gnome panel clock. Shows the time in english
> words, eg "twenty past one". I don't know who to submit this to for
> inclusion, or what form it needs to be in, but I'm told the gnome panel
> maintainers use this mailing list? Diff attached.

I'm not one of the maintainers, but here are a couple of thoughts off
the top of my head:

- I'm not sure if the "gnome panel clock" is one of the applets that is
  for the chop. People only half joke about their being a need for a
  gnome-clock-applets package and I can't remember the resolution of all
  the mindless discussions we had about this earlier.

- On the surface, it doesn't look like this patch will internationalise
  too well. For example, there doesn't seem to be an easy way to handle
  something like "halb eins" for German speakers. Plus, in its current
  format, it cannot really be internationalised using gettext and
  friends, so some thought about the design might be needed there.

- Some of the inline comments struck me as a bit confusing, but they
  sort of made sense after I ignored them and read the code. That may be
  a stylistic issue on my part, but I found that they actually hindered
  my reading.

None of these are intended to pour water on your contribution, though.
It's a nice idea.

Whether in its current form or in a slightly rewriteen form, it's
probably a good idea to post this patch to bugzilla against the relevant
component so that it doesn't get lost. Create a bug report stating that
you have a patch. Then go back and add to the bug report and attach the
patch (it's a slightly brain-damaged way of doing it, I know, but such
is life in bugzilla land).

Cheers,
Malcolm

--
What if there were no hypothetical questions?