Re: FW: Nautilus and Setup Tools

On 31Oct2001 12:10PM (+0000), Sander Vesik wrote:
> On 31 Oct 2001, Seth Nickell wrote:
>
> > For a large class of users, the desktop environment is the most
> > fundamental object they interact with, the desktop environment is what
> > holds their operating system together. When the graphical environment
> > fails to provide a good experience for the user, I think the final
> > burden rests with the desktop (perhaps the distribution can share this
> > as well, but as a desktop developer I choose to treat this as my
> > responsibility as well). If there's something missing that's needed, or
> > whatever, the desktop is the primary mediator of the user experience.
> > That's all I'm saying.
> >

> This is not true for the "traditional" unix desktop market.

True, most workstation users know whether they are running HP-UX or
Solaris, even though both may be using CDE.

But the reuslting fact that many tasks must be done differently on the
two is not seen as a good thing.

> Users configuring the system? who could think of something so gross? The
> users have no call to be managing the system, at best they might be
> allowed to set their mouse and keyboard and sounds settings... 8-)

How about (on corporate centrally managed desktop systems):

* Power management settings
* Display resolution and color depth
* Installing I/S approved software or upgrades

Or on a laptop:

* Network settings
* Date & time

 - Maciej