Re: Eazel's IP/copyright

On Sun, May 20, 2001 at 03:33:50PM -0700, Sri Ramkrishna wrote:
> Out of curiosity, has most of Eazel's work been assigned to Eazel as a
> copyright?  Should it be assigned to GNOME foundation or something?  FSF?
> I wasn't certain if Nautilus's works were assigned to the company as an
> entity or not.

This is actually an important question, since the code that is (c)
Eazel will likely go to creditors/VCs, at which point the source
license could be revoked.  This would mean we would lose Nautilus as a
part of the GNOME project, which we can all agree would be a terrible
loss.  Of course, this is unlikely, since significant work would have
to be put into expunging the code not copyrighted to Eazel, and since
most failed code just gets ignored (fortunately not the case here),
but it would be a very bad thing.

So, it's rather significant what the answer to this question is.

Of course, if the founders don't have the rights to the company's
assets, then they can't just assign the rights to the code to the FSF,
any more than they could give the FSF the office furniture.

sam th --- sam uchicago edu --- http://www.abisource.com/~sam/
OpenPGP Key: CABD33FC --- http://samth.dyndns.org/key
DeCSS: http://samth.dynds.org/decss