Re: libtool-1.4 / automake-1.4p1

On 16 May 2001, Owen Taylor wrote:

> Tomasz Kłoczko <kloczek rudy mif pg gda pl> writes:
>
> > On 16 May 2001, Owen Taylor wrote:
> >

> > > I'm about to commit changes to GLib/Pango/ATK/GTK+ to make them depend
> > > on libtool-1.4, so we can have proper inter-library dependencies.
> > >
> > > People building GTK+ from CVS will need to upgrade to libtool-1.4, and
> > > also to automake-1.4p1, which has changes for compatibility with
> > > libtool-1.4
> >
> > Also it will be good recomend using latest gettext 0.10.37.
>
> If you are going to be doing anything with the GNOME-1.4 packages or
> GTK+-1.2, I wouldn't recommend this until we have fixed versions of
> AM_GTK/GNOME_GNU_GETTEXT macros.

Seems some old bugs in gettext.m4 are now fixed. Why not refuse using all
variation AM_GNU_GETTEXT ?
If somethig is still broken in AM_GNU_GETTEXT beter will be prepare fix
directly for gettext.m4 adn/or send patch to gettext maintainer and/or
keep patch for gettext.m4 (or even fixed deb/rpm packages) on
ftp.gnome.org. From gnome projects now only mc (gmc) uses AM_GNOME_GETTEXT
in proper way. All other packages uses this macro only as simple
replacement AM_GNU_GETTEXT without using any other abilities this macro
.. and all as anyone can see works corectly (seems noones sreems on
sometimes broken dependences from (sometimes) generated intl/intl.a).

Fix me if I'm wrong.

kloczek
*Ludzie nie mają problemów, tylko sobie sami je stwarzają*
Tomasz Kłoczko, sys adm @zie.pg.gda.pl|*e-mail: kloczek rudy mif pg gda pl*