Re: RFC: GNOME 2.0 Multimedia strategy

Alan Cox <alan redhat com> writes:

> > Alan, are you being really serious ?
> > auditing GStreamer ?
> >
> > Why not starting with ORBit ?
> > That would probably be slightly more useful...
>
> The entry points of ORBit were already audited. That is why vendors
> ship ORBit with networking disabled..

Well, I think the problem with GStreamer is its network functionality will
be used to play sound files which you get from someone else. So you have to
deal with untrusted input which can contain any bad things.

On the other hand, with ORBit you're normally running your own components or
components which have been installed by the sysadmin over the network and
you're using this even-it-it-is-very-weak magic-cookie based authentication
scheme.

--
Martin Baulig
martin gnome org (private)