Re: Tinderbox for GNOME 2 development

On 15 May 2001 18:04:49 -0400, Michael Meeks wrote:

> Hi Duncan,
>
> On 15 May 2001, Duncan Mak wrote:
> > Greg Leblanc and Duncan Mak (that's me) agreed to volunteer as
> > maintainers for the tinderbox to be used for GNOME 2 development.
>
> 	Sigh, as long as the tinderbox is only used to inform humans, to
> send mail to people to ask them to fix it sometime. eg. bonobo's

Erm, what could it do other than inform humans?  Roll back changes?  I
hear rumors that Mozilla does that, but this is GNOME, not Mozilla.
Different culture, different people running it.  Just wouldn't work for
the GNOME culture.

> message-of-doom says:
>
>   * This software _will_ be breaking binary and source compatibility
> frequently
>   * Furthermore it will not compile for long periods of the week, and this
> is a feature.
>
> 	Do we really need a tinderbox at this stage ?

At this stage?  Hell no, but if we don't start working on it now, it
won't matter in the GNOME 2.0 timeframe, because we won't have it
working well enough to be of use.  I wouldn't worry about having modules
building successfully right now, as long as you remember that whenever
it's broken, it's not being tested by your target users.  I could
mention that, but I suspect that most of you know what that means at
least as well as I do, so I'll just ask that you keep it in mind.
Thanks,
    Greg