Re: RTF in the canvas?

Christopher James Lahey <clahey ximian com> writes:

> On 12 May 2001 13:13:01 -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
> > Most of the interactive damage in the canvas currently can
> > be summarized by one word:
> >
> >  art_rect_list_from_uta ()
> >
> > Redrawing in little pieces is simply not a good idea in almost
> > every case.
>
> As long as you prepare in the update method and do a very fast drawing
> routine in the draw method, shouldn't this not be an issue?  I've seen
> lots of apps be sped up considerably by moving things from the draw
> method to the update method.

When you get to the speed that a graphics card can blit, then you
can pretend the update is instantaneous.

Until you get there, doing partial updates causes tearing; doing
partial updates faster causes faster tearing.

And should people have to worry about making their draw methods
blazingly fast just to try and reduce the effect of a misguided
"optimization"?
                                        Owen