Re: foobar (menubar) suggestions

On Mon, May 07, 2001 at 02:18:50PM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > > The problem is that there are a couple pixels below the applet that
> > > belong to the panel window. I don't think there's any way an applet
> > > can get events there. So how would you fix an applet without adding a
> > > hack like this to the panel?
> >
> > Can't an applet span the complete height/width of the panel?
>
> As I understand it, the problem is that the panel has spacing around
> all the applets for the panel bevel. I'm not sure you want to remove
> the panel bevel, and it seems broken for applets to assume they know
> how to draw the part of the bevel they overlap. So really the panel
> needs to draw those bottom two pixels.

Yeah.  Even if there was no bevel it would only work if the applet was the
widest one on the panel.  Some applets are a couple of pixels wider even if
they follow the general size of the panel.  And there's no way an applet can
find out the actual size of the panel.  This is due to no request/allocate
dialog, size negotiation is really sort of a one way thing in the panel
unfortunately.

Anyway, that would be the wrong solution anyway cuz the panel without the
bevel looks like ass.  IMO at least.

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>