Re: Wow! Slick toy!

On Mon, May 07, 2001 at 05:04:51PM -0400, Liam Quin wrote:
> I'd really like to see this project (or at least gtkmathview) given
> more visibility.  It works fine alongside gnome, although as Iain
> implies, you do need to have libxml2 installed.

Maybe not.  I've never tried it, but the reference manual
(http://www.cs.unibo.it/helm/mml-widget/gtkmathview.html) says, under
"Requirements":

>From version 0.1.1 of the widget it has been added backward
"compatibility" with version 1.8.x of libxml, however this
compatibility is not fully effective due to some bugs of libxml. It is
recommended to upgrade to version 2. See file INSTALL for more details.

The INSTALL file says:

     - libxml version 2.x.y (http://xmlsoft.org)
       NEW: with version 0.1.1 of gtkmathview has been added
       backward compatibility with versions 1.x.y of libxml
       because of its widespread use, however that versions have
       some annoying  bugs, in particular they don't handle
       correctly Unicode character references inside the document
       (e.g. α) so it is strongly suggested to upgrade
       to libxml2 if possibile

So this might not be a huge problem after all.

-JT