Re: I think we need this (implemented) bugzilla feature

>From: Mark Gordon <mtgordon ximian com>
>To: Colm Smyth <Colm Smyth Sun COM>
>Cc: mtgordon ximian com, mjs eazel com, sam uchicago edu,
gnome-hackers gnome org
>Subject: Re: I think we need this (implemented) bugzilla feature
>
>On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 11:49:12AM +0100, Colm Smyth wrote:
>> >From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs eazel com>

>> >It seems like overkill to insert another server into the system just
>> >to dispatch transferred bugs to the right location. It would probably
>> >be simpler to just hack bugzilla to let you specify what other
>> >bugzilla instance to transfer the bug to on a case by case basis.
>> >
>> >Another problem is that the Red Hat, Eazel, Ximian, GNOME, AbiSource
>> >and Mozilla bugzilla instances do not all use the same set of fields
>> >or the same valid values for all fields; I imagine the bug transfer
>> >feature is not designed with this in mind.
>>
>> Maciej makes an excellent point here. I think it would be better to have:
>>
>> - a configuration mechanism that identifies the appropriate bug-tracking
system
>>   for bugs in each GNOME module
>
>One of the problems with this, at least from my standpoint, is that it's
>difficult to automate the process of telling a packaging bug from an
>upstream bug.  It might be good to query the package (assuming it's installed
>from a package, and assuming the database isn't locked) to find out where
>it came from.  Bugs should probably go to the packager first, and if it's
>not a packaging bug (or a duplicate), it should then get migrated to an
>upstream bugzilla.  But since it's not fair to make package maintainers
>assume repsonsibility for chasing down packaging bugs (see previous thread
>regarding distro-specific patches), this seems like the most reasonable
>approach.

If we enable package-specific bug-tracking with the option to log bugs
rather than hassle users (who have enough problems without reporting
bugs in software), there's no reason why a distro or a sysadmin can't
alter the bug-tracking configuration to consolidate reports or simply disable
bug-tracking altogether.

Colm.