Re: API Fragmentation and Cleanup

On Fri, Apr 27, 2001 at 10:38:05AM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > Given that the panel may have arbitrarily large menus (and quite often the
> > menus are taller than 480 or 600 pixels), having the scrolling ability is
> > quite useful for small screens.  It seems like a good compromise to back
> > port that code for this program.
>
> I think the panel scroll code predates the stuff in GTK, it's some
> kind of gruesome hack to work around GTK lacking the feature.

Yeah, the panel stuff is there to make 1.4 not suck wrt menus.  And while it
has been cut and pasted into a bunch of other places, it is a temporary hack
that will go away with gtk+2.0.  It doesn't add any api, all you do is call
scroll_menu_new instead of gtk_menu_new.  And you can then switch back when
gtk2 arives.

And yes it's not the nicest of code and that's why the thought of that being
submitted to gtk+ proper or even gnome-libs has never even crossed my mind :)

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him.