Re: official support for more scripting languages in gnome needed

On Mon, Mar 19, 2001 at 07:02:21PM +0800, James Henstridge wrote:
> > What this whole discussion was over is whether or not to make perl, python, lisp
> > and <insert favorite scripting language here> requirements for gnome.  My answer
> > is no.  HELL NO.
>
> I don't think the idea was to add artificial dependencies (that would be
> stupid).  However, I don't see the problem with programs written in
> interpreted languages.  If you don't want to install the language's
> runtime, then you are free not to use programs written in that language
> (or even rewrite them if you want)

Well, some languages already have dependencies.  That is if core apps are
written in a language, it is required.  I was planning to use guile in the
panel to simplify the code, and the only reason I didn't do that is because
I don't have time to do it.  It would allow to do many things that would take
ages (and thus I won't ever do) in C.

Since no apps in gnome are CPU intensive really, you are highly unlikely to
see absolutely any difference if something is in C or perl, or lisp or
whatnot.  So I don't see any reason other then maturity of bindings, stopping
the use of scripting languages in core apps.

George