Fer de Lance: intelligence for the free desktop

Hi,

We are trying to get a project going described at http://www.fer-de-lance.org

The goal of this project is to integrate content-based retrieval services
into the desktop. Content-based retrieval means: retrieving without relying
on keywords. See the GNU Image Finding Tool, demonstrated at

http://viper.unige.ch/demo.php

for an example.

We would like to work on extending the GIFT but also on extending the desktop
for providing services like a content-sensitive file open dialog (don't show
me the next directory, instead show me all files similar to this one), or a
content-sensitive file manager (same functionality in the file manager). We
want to extend this idea as far as possible, drawing on current research and
on your desktop expertise. What would be needed would be an API for programs
that use such services etc.

Getting this to work would be actually quite cool, as this would create the
largest base of content-based retrieval users so far, being a tool both for
users and research.

We intend this project to encompass any free desktop you like. It's about
free vs. non-free, and about writing exciting software. Currently, the only
one who has contributed desktop code to the project so far is Carsten
Pfeiffer, who wrote a kioslave to Konqueror, which talks quite successfully
to the GIFT. See
http://master.kde.org/~pfeiffer/kmrml/screenshots/

I find this is a really good fist step, and we would like to see things like
that and more both on GNOME and KDE. It would be really cool to get some
interoperability here.

Cheers,
Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Müller,
assistant-doctorant ==  PhD student (2001), teaching assistant