Re: Release coordination - a clarification

Maintainers cannot be clearly designated for every decision, and I don't
think they should be. Decisions that are really about GNOME as a whole
can't clearly be passed to two or three maintainers. We need a grand-high
maintainer of the GNOME project, but I don't think its reasonable to hand
that much control over to any single individual.

Only one body seems to reasonably have the authority to make such choices,
and that is the same body that elected the Foundation board (that is,
everyone with CVS access and then some). By extension the foundation board
may be empowered to make these choices (and I believe they intend to in
cases of extreme conflict), but in the general case the foundation board
has voiced that it doesn't want to be involved with technical decisions.

I don't think we ever got to the point in the gconf/bonobo-config dispute,
for example, where voting would have been desirable. BUT, I think it would
have been worth having a "show of hands" regarding various solutions to
the duplication of configuration systems. Show of hands is a very
effective technique for trying to reach consensus in a group of live
people, and I think it would be worth exploring how we might reach a
similar effect using electronic means.

-Seth