Re: GConf and bonobo-config - some ideas

James Henstridge wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Jun 2001, Dietmar Maurer wrote:
>
> > The link approach would works perfectly in this situation.
> [snip]
> >
> > Using the link approach would also work here (link/mount another database
> > somewhere inside the configuration tree).
>
> After a brief look through the headers of bonobo-config, I couldn't find
> the APIs an an app programmer would use to do this.

The ConfigDatabase API is in libbonobo (idl/Bonobo_PropertyBag.idl). But
please consider that the proposed functionality is not fully implemented -we
are talking about how it would work.

> Are these mounts/links global, or application specific?

You would have a default configuration file somewhere, like in GConf.

> If they are
> application specific, do they need to be set up each time an app is run?
> How convenient is it to set up a link/mount as opposed to telling gconf to
> apply a particular schema to a new key?

Please read my other mail I have written today, hope that will explain this
question.

> Does it break the abstraction of
> using the config: moniker (ie. not caring about where the config data is
> stored) from the app's point of view?

no.