Re: gnome-terminal delete/backspace mess

On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 05:03:50PM -0400, Miguel de Icaza wrote:

> > So, if you want to solve this problem, I think a better way to solve
> > it would be a menu item that feeds an stty command to the terminal,
> > next to the current Reset menu item. It could be called "Fix delete
> > key" or something. Then there is a single thing I can click, and it
> > only has a temporary effect. Still somewhat confusing, but not as bad.
>
> This is not only horrible hack, it is a recipe for disasster and
> broken at so many levels.
>
> Lets picture I am in an text-based application that responds to
> keystrokes (mc, informix, oracle text uis, slrn, etc) and I select
> "Fix delete key".
>
> Now I am streaming `stty erase ^h' down the connection, s might mean
> `select', and `t' might mean `transfer files'.  What a disaster.

Yes - especially beause you're most likely to notice that the delete key is
"broken" when you're in a text "gui" app.

I personally feel that we should remove the option from the g-t config
dialog.  It confuses the hell out of me and I always end up using stty.
Gnome-Terminal reports itself as being of type "xterm" - shouldn't we send
whatever keys the XConsortium's xterm sends when you press the delete key?
Isn't doing it any other way a bug in our terminal emulation? ;-)

Ian