Re: gnome-terminal delete/backspace mess

On 20 Jul 2001 07:42:33 +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Miguel de Icaza">
>
> > This is not only horrible hack, it is a recipe for disasster and
> > broken at so many levels.
>
> I feel that these are incredibly advanced preferences, and believed that
> they should be removed similarly to Havoc. On seeing such vocal support for
> them, perhaps an additional advanced terminal behaviour tab should be added,
> to remove this complexity from the "General" tab.

I have no problem with moving the options to an `Advanced' tab.

But removing them is really not a good idea.  Terminals need to have
those options because they have to deal with a lot of legacy in there.
They have those options because they are used by people, not because we
figured `lets add an option just because we can'.

Good terminal emulators from the DOS days had to cope with even more
different systems, and they had to have even more settings than the ones
we are coping with right now.  They were there not because people felt
it was cool to have them, but because they were solving a concrete
problem.

So the bottom line is that the Joel rule of `remove unnecessary options'
can not be applied in this case (Again, for the sake of those not
reading the thread: I have no objections to getting rid of
delete-sends-something-else, but I want Michael Zucchi to have an
opinion on this as well).

Miguel.