Re: security holes in gnome-vfs application list (was Call for

I agree completely with Alan about the default mime-type bindings. I'd
also suggest that:

- it should be possible to configure Nautilus and indeed Evolution
  to disable scripts completely or to display a query dialog when starting
  scripts outside of a (configurable) list of trusted directories;
  in the case of mail messages, the "domain of trust" could be a net
  domain or even a list of trusted hosts; this may help to prevent GNOME
  from becoming another petri dish for viruses and trojans; who doesn't
  remember "I LOVE YOU"? ;) (the list of trusted directories could just
  be the user's PATH, but it should exclude ".")

- it would be nice to be able to configure Sawfish to ignore themes in
  the user's home directory (who knows where they got them from and
  how many users or even developers scan the scheme code before using it?!)
  and only allow themes installed in the GNOME system directory to be used.
  (it would be better if librep could run in a "sandbox" mode that
  disallowed writing to files, pipes and sockets, but that's harder and
  doesn't give the same security as being only able to run with a set of
  tried and trusted themes that come with GNOME, along with some
  extensions that a local knowledgeable sysadmin has setup).

Colm.