Re: GNOME 2.0 planning: A longer range roadmap

On 20 Feb 2001 04:06:59 -0800, George wrote:
> 1) Figure out what to do with gnome-stock, it's in GTK2 and it's broken in
> g-l HEAD.  We can't just use the old code as that used imlib, and I'm more in
> favour of perhaps doing wrappers that may cover 90% of the cases and wrap
> GTK2

Why don't we just remove this?  As long as we're breaking things, we
might as well just do it right.  Having duplicated interfaces all over
the place is really broken.  And it's really not too hard to provide a
guide to converting things.

> 2) Figure out what happens to GnomeDialog now that we have a capable
> GtkDialog.  GnomeDialog has actually more accessors then GtkDialog last I've
> seen (as far as I remember, I may be on crack).  That is GtkDialog doesn't
> store it's buttons afaik.  Perhaps writing this as a wrapper around GTK2's
> GtkDialog and the stock icons stuff.  Doesn't have to be perfect, just handle
> again the 90% of cases.  Or maybe just keep the current implementation and
> just use GTK's stock icons.

Once again, I think this interface just slows us down.  This one is
harder because of all of the people that derive from GnomeDialog.

> 3) Figure out a simple way to make GnomeUIInfo wrappable.  Rewrite isn't
> going to happen of this stuff, we just need to make it usable by bindings,
> and we need it to keep compat

Why are we devoted to gnome-libs 1.2 compatibility?

> 5) A nice gnome-vfs fileselector dialog.  If apps are to use gnome-vfs they
> need a good fileselector as part of the standard libs.  And I think this
> falls under the emergencies heading.  Wasn't there one floating around
> somewhere?

Definitely.

> In addition to there it's of course getting GParam support everywhere and
> replacing things with GConf, and using gnome-vfs where possible.

This sounds important.